Your home should be a place of comfort and safety, but that doesn’t happen automatically. Keeping your home safe and cozy requires some work. It starts with keeping it cleaned and orderly.
But even if everything appears to be in order, there can still be dangers lurking in your home. Here are a few hazardous items that may be hiding in your home.
Bacteria is all around us, and despite its reputation, that’s not all bad. In fact, a lot of bacteria is quite good for you. On the other hand, there’s bacteria that can cause you serious harm if left unchecked. The main source of harmful bacteria in your home comes from food.
Rotten and expired food are highly susceptible to bad bacteria. If you’re ever uncertain whether or not something is “still good”, it’s best to just toss it out. It’s a good idea to get in a regular weekly habit of checking items in your fridge and throwing out anything that’s outdated.
Not only will this keep you safe, but it will leave you with a more spacious fridge.
That said, it’s not just old food that you need to worry about. Raw food like uncooked meat or eggs can contain salmonella or E. coli, which are incredibly dangerous. Always make sure that food is properly cooked.
Clean up any dishes, utensils, or surfaces that come into contact with food as well.
While food and dirty dishes are a common source of mold in homes, they aren’t the only way this fungus can enter your home. Mold thrives where it’s dark and moist, which means it’s usually in places you don’t regularly see.
This could be in basements, behind laundry machines, in air ducts, etc. Periodically check through your home for places where mold could form, and have your air ducts cleaned regularly.
While lead is no longer used in household products, that wasn’t always the case. In fact, lead based paint was used still used in the late 70’s, and lead was used for plumbing soldering as recent as 1985. If you live in a home that was built before then, it’s a good idea to have it inspected for lead.
Lead can be toxic when ingested, and often, the effects aren’t immediately apparent.
Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas that can cause sickness and even death. It’s also highly flammable. Carbon monoxide is especially dangerous because it’s odorless, so you can’t tell when it’s in the air. Always make sure to keep your oven shut off. Have your heating and water systems regularly inspected to ensure no leaks are occurring.
Also make sure that you have CO detectors in your home, and that they’re actually working.
Carbon monoxide isn’t the only odorless gas you need to worry about being present in your home. Radon is a natural gas that’s found in the air around you. Though a small amount of radon is perfectly harmless, higher levels can be very dangerous.
In fact, radon is the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers, contributing to 20,000 deaths per year.
Radon can build up in enclosed spaces like a home. In fact, almost 1 in every 15 homes have radon levels that are too high.
The only way to know if you’re safe is to have your home tested. If your levels are too high, you’ll need your home mitigated. For radon mitigation in Ohio, contact Air Duct Cleaning company today. We’ll help keep your home safe and comfortable.